Atormac
Neurology India
menu-bar5 Open access journal indexed with Index Medicus
  Users online: 4664  
 Home | Login 
About Editorial board Articlesmenu-bullet NSI Publicationsmenu-bullet Search Instructions Online Submission Subscribe Videos Etcetera Contact
  Navigate Here 
 »   Next article
 »   Previous article
 »   Table of Contents

 Resource Links
 »   Similar in PUBMED
 »  Search Pubmed for
 »  Search in Google Scholar for
 »Related articles
 »   Citation Manager
 »   Access Statistics
 »   Reader Comments
 »   Email Alert *
 »   Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3643    
    Printed83    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded97    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal

 

 ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2018  |  Volume : 66  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 377--384

Clinical characterization of neck pain in migraine


Department of Neurology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Sunil Pradhan
Department of Neurology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Raebareli Road, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0028-3886.227302

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: Several extracranial symptoms, including somatic pain syndormes, are known to occur in migraine. Though neck pain has been occasionally described with migraine, its precise association and nature is not yet clear. Objective: To study the incidence and characteristics of neck pain in migraine with particular emphasis on its occurrence as a trigger or a part of the symptom complex of migraine, as well as its association with different phases of the migraine attack. Materials and Methods: We interviewed 391 migraine patients for 18 months. All patients who reported neck pain anytime during the migraine phase were analyzed for their demographic profile, headache and neck pain characteristics, the associated conditions, and other clinical features. Results: One hundred and sixty-six (42.5%) patients reported neck pain anytime during the attack (61.5% were female patients and the mean age was 35.8 years). A total of 82.7% patients had migraine without aura and 75.3% had episodic migraine at the onset. In 53 patients (32%), neck pain was a trigger, and in the rest (n = 113, 68%), neck pain was a part of migraine symtomatology. Fifty-seven patients (34.3%) noticed neck pain before the onset of headache; 148 patients (89.2%) reported neck pain at the onset of headache, and 46 patients (27.7%) experienced neck pain after the resolution of headache. The characteristic feature of migraine, such as the unilateral side shifting type of headache, was seen in only 54.2% of the patients, and the throbbing pain quality was seen in 75.2% of the patients. There was no significant difference in the nonheadache symptoms (P = 0.587) and cranial autonomic symptoms (P = 0.596) between the neck pain triggered migraine patients and those having neck pain as a part of the attack. Conclusion: These data indicate that neck pain is a very common feature of migraine attacks and is likely to be either a trigger or a part of the migraine attack. Contrary to the established concept, however, neck pain as a prodromal or postdromal migraine symptom was less common. Careful history taking is required to diagnose neck pain as a feature of migraine and to differentiate it from secondary headache due to a cervical pathology for avoiding unnecessary imaging or other investigations.






[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*


        
Print this article     Email this article

Online since 20th March '04
Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow